Aids in Daily Living
Devices such as eating utensils, large gripped devices that help pick up items, extra long shoehorn, built-up handle makes buttoning and zipping clothing easier. Canes, walkers.
Home Modifications like wheelchair ramps, widening doorways changing door knobs to levers can mean the difference between dependence and independence for some. Medicare does not cover these modifications, nor do most private insurance.
Wheelchairs are generally covered if the insured meets coverage guidelines, such as being unable to walk short distances (less than 50 feet).
- Aids in Daily Living
- Ramps and Lift Systems
- Environmental Controls
- Para Driving Aids Services and products include: certified mobility consulting, wheelchair lifts and ramps, complete driving controls, used vehicles and equipment. Locations in Austin and San Antonio.
- Wheelchairs and Mobility
- Vitality Medical
- Daily Living Aids at AllegroMedical.com
- Life with Ease Specializing in products to prevent injury, live with injury and aid with impairments.
Disability Products offers secure shopping for assistive devices that support
independent living for seniors, the handicapped and disabled, or those with
a medical condition or injury.
- Rehab Specialists
2557 Wyandotte St.
Mountain View, CA 94043
650 965-8282 ext 101
Rehab Specialists is a supplier of home medical equipment, custom mobility products, and home rehabilitation equipment throughout the bay area. Equipment is available for rent.
Power Wheelchair Controllers
- Adaptive Switch Laboratories, Inc.- also known as ASL, a manufacturer of high quality switches and controllers.
- Bodypoint Designs - midline joystick mounts.
- Dynamic Controls, Ltd. - click on "products" to see controllers.
- KATALAVOX - design and manufacture voice-control system.
- Lautzenhiser Drive Control - proportional drive control through movement of their head, hand, finger, or foot.
- Magitek - control of wheelchair by head. hand, finger, foot or any physical location.
- newAbilities System Inc. - the tongue-touch keypad for wheelchair (WP-100), computer and environmental control.
- Peachtree Head Control System - proportional control of a wheelchair by head movement.
- PG Drives Technology - Penny & Giles - advanced control systems for mobility devices .
- Stealth Products - mushroom joystick and others
- Therafin Corporation - sip'n puff controllers and midline swing away mounts systems.
- Whitmyer Biomechanix, Inc. - arm drive and foot drive controllers.
Home modifications can be very costly and can take a long time to be completed. It is important that you work with an ALS specialist or someone with experience with ALS patients to see if there is equipment available which may minimize the need for modifications. Also, your consultant must understand the progressive nature of ALS in order to plan home modifications which will be of use to you in the future.
The most obvious home modification is the installation of a ramp. Ramps are necessary where there is a step or several steps and should be equipped with guardrails and handrails. For referrals to contractors in your area who do home modifications, call your nearest Independent Living Center. Remember to ask within your community for referrals. Check with support group members, friends, church groups, clinics and others who may have done home modifications to find contractors who worked with others successfully to modify their homes.
Access Unlimited www.Accessunlimited.com
American Ramp Systems www.americanramp.com
Barrier Free Lifts, Inc. www.bflift.com
CM Solutions www.cmworks.com
Handi-Ramp, Inc. www.handiramp.com
Homecare Products, Inc.
Rand-Scot Inc. www.easypivot.com
Manufactures Bye-Bye Decubiti wheelchair cushions, EasyPivot Patient Lift transfer
machines, Personal Folding Stander standing frames, Saratoga Cycle exercise
products for persons with disabilities
Rehab Designs www.Rehabdesigns.com
Viewpoint Mobility www.viewpointmobility.com
Break Boundaries offers
REACH, and Environmental Control unit. "Assistive Technologies and Electronic
Aids to Daily Living for People with Disabilities at Home and Residential Care
5495 North Bend Road, Suite 200
Burlington, KY 41005
Simplicity TM Series EC using Voice and/or Switches
ZYGO Industries - Environmental Control Systems